Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Today I said Goodbye

The roads are snowy and icy. The snow is here to stay.

I drove slowly and to my amazement only hit two red lights on the way to the church. I picked a parking spot at random because in the winter no one pays attention to the lines that are painted on the ash fault. I take a deep breath and try to mentally prepare myself for the next few hours. I've never been good with goodbyes, and I know that is one will be the hardest yet.

I'm so glad that I had the chance to become friends with Ashley, even though it was only for a few short months. She was the type of person who was always as sweet as could be. She was also super involved in everything, but also found the time to be a stellar student. She was a return missionary, a gifted teacher, and a shining example to me of kindness and love.

I will forever remember the experience of singing in the choir at her funeral. We sang the theme song for the cultural celebration and have never sounded better. As a postlude we sang 'How Great Thou Art' I found back tears during the entire piece, and couldn't hold the smile that I usually have when I sing.

Today gave me a new love for the Plan of Salvation. I saw the comfort that it brought to her grieving family and friends. I'm so grateful for the knowledge that we lived before we came to Earth and that will will continue to live after we have departed from this life.

The Garden Tomb. Christ overcame death here.

Then sings my soul,
My Savior God, to thee,
How great thou art!
How great thou art!
'How Great Thou Art'  LDS Hymn Book number 86



No comments:

Post a Comment