Sunday, July 31, 2011

A Place I Love

The Tuesday after the Forth of July weekend by Ancient Political Theory teacher noticed my accent and asked me where I was from. I told her I was from Canada owe of my classmates was surprised and then asked me in dismay, “What did you DO for the Fourth?” She then seemed surprised when I told her about the lovely day that I had spent in Idaho Falls. I mean really what was I supposed to do? Spend the day in my apartment looking at a wall while contemplating my non-American-ness?

This encounter somewhat hurt my feelings and confused me a little bit. It has really got me thinking about how much I really do love America. Although I am not a citizen of the country I still appreciate and love the country. I kind of feel like it is how parents love all of their children and not just their oldest. I love Canada, but I also love the United States.

I love how the people love their country and not afraid to tell you that they do. I love how they are interested in their government and form strong opinions about issues. I love how they have multiple different patriotic songs and know they words to all of them. I love how they respect the people in the military. I love how they know their countries history.

I have had some of the best experiences of my life in the United States. I have met some of the most incredible people who are lifelong friends, seen beautiful sunsets, eaten amazing food, matured a lot, furthered my education, walked along sandy beaches, strengthened my testimony, and made decisions that will impact the rest of my life. I wouldn’t trade these things for anything!

I feel so blessed that I have the opportunity to live in the United States and attend the amazing BYU-Idaho.

I love America, and I love all the amazing opportunities and experiences that it has given me.

{I would love to visit here someday}

No comments:

Post a Comment